About Cheerio

My photo
In general I am a cheery and energetic person. But I am enshrouded in a cloak of iron. That cloak is the weight of greiving my son, whom I've lost to adoption.

Thursday, April 2, 2009

Uncle Ian ... 'Starfish' Update

End of February and early March I wrote about "Uncle Ian" and how "he's a starfish too"
Well, here's the Cheerio update.
Last week we had our follow up meeting with Uncle Ian.
I had my tablet, pencil, and manilla folder.
In the folder was a double sided brochure. I copied as much as I could from the Adoptee Rights Demonstration blog website, and pasted it into a word document trying to imitate the same format.
Cheerio was going in prepared.
Before the meeting I wondered to myself, "Well, what do I do if 'the subject' doesn't come up at all?" I figured that since I was not empty handed, the subject would not come up.
The meeting was much shorter this time. I feel like it was a big help to helping us feel more prepared for retirement.
As we were wrapping up, Uncle Ian asked if there were any other questions. So I asked how much we owe. I was shocked when he said "nothing." As we all know "nothing" is "free" these days. But he reminded us the very first time we talked, even then he said that a meeting just to review finances and see if we were on track financially would not cost anything.
I was stunned (and relieved ad thankful) at that bit of news.
But I was also nervous. The meeting wrapped up, and I still have this attractive color brochure in my manila folder.
We were being ushered to the door when I finally got up the nerve to pull out the brochure and hand it to him. I said "I printed this out for you. It's for you and your wife to look over and talk about. I have a lot of friends who will be at this Demonstration in Philly. I'm planning to be there with them in July."
He thanked me and said he'd share it with his wife.
Schew!!!
I wonder if Tigers ever feel nervous?
My nerves were all ruffled but at the same time, Cheerio made a stand -- even if it was just a teeny tiny one.
As many of us know - AParents aren't typically interested in the Adoptee's Rights. But I am. I'll be shy, but proud to stand with my friends in July to point out the discrimination and injustice!
I'll be there with or without Uncle Ian!

3 comments:

  1. Bravo Cheerio, BRAVO!!!!!!!


    Luv,
    Denise
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I know it must have been a bit nerve racking but what you have done is hopefully enlighten an adoptive family so they know how to help their adopted children.

    Godd work Cheerio :)

    Myst

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should feel proud of yourself!

    I am!

    jimm

    ReplyDelete